Summary:A fantastic printable game to help your
students reinforce the phonetic sounds, 'ai', 'ay', 'ee' and 'ea'.
Feel free to download it, print it and play!
Printable Phonics Game ai,
ay, ee & ea
found in this game...
Print the cards, laminate them if possible and cut them out.
How to play:
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to each
member of the group, as well as themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the centre.
Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up
next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the sound of the letters
marked in red and then the word e.g.
If the card is 'rain' the dealer says, ' a like in rain.'
If the card is ' eat ' the dealer says, ' e like in 'eat.'
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving
to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same
sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on
top of the pile by saying ' a like in train' or ' a like in gain
'. Same sounds in blue can count as same suit: eg. ay may be put
on top of ai.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card
from the facedown pile.
If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight down,
if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has a turn.
If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in their
hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if they had the
cards ' stream and steam ' they would place down their CHANGE card
and say "I'd like to change it to e like in stream". All
the following players must match for ee or ea..
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning
tool comes from having the children say ' ay like in crayon' when
playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning