reading game - When two vowels go walking the first one does the talking.
Ideal for Special Needs Students
Find Something... Search my whole site
Games Homepage -
You are here
- Two Vowels Go Walking
engaging printable game for students which aims to raise their awareness
of the phonics rule, 'When two vowels go
walking the first one does the talking
of the time'.
the cards, laminate them if possible and cut them out.
1. Two, three
or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to
each member of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the centre.
Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face
up next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the sound of the letters
marked in orange and then the word e.g. If the card is 'feed'
the dealer says, 'ee' like
in feed' . If the card is
'dream' the dealer says, 'ea
like in dream'.
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving
to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same
sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one
on top of the pile by saying 'ea
like in each'.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card
from the face down pile. If the card they pick up is a match they
can put it straight down, if not, they place it in their hand
and the next player has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in
their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say
they had the cards 'drain',
'frail' and 'brain'
they would place down their CHANGE card and say "I'd like
to change it to 'ai' like
in brain'". All
the following players must match for 'ai'.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children
say 'ai' like in 'snail'
when playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning