Phonics Game - Change
phonics game to focus on er, ir, ur, ck, long oo and short oo)
the cards, laminate them if possible and cut them out.
1. Two, three or four players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a dealer to shuffle the cards and give five cards to the
members of the group, including themselves.
3. Place all the remaining cards in a pile face down in the centre.
Next flip one card off the top of this pile and place it face up
next to the stack.
4. The dealer reads the card by pronouncing the phonics sound of
the red letter and then the word
e.g. If the card is b oom the dealer says, oo
like in boom If the card is
black the dealer says, ck like in black
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving
to the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same
sound as the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on
top of the pile by saying ur like in t ur n or er
like in oth er.
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card
from the facedown
pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it straight
down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player has
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE card in
their hand they
can change the sound being matched i.e. if say they had the cards
her , f ern and aft er they
would place down their CHANGE card and say Id like to
change it to er like in her . All the following
players must match
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
NB The power of this game as a learning
tool comes from having the children say er like in her
when playing the game.
Here to Download and Print the Game
'Get This Game'
and it is yours.
in this Game:
- her, were, after, fern, other
- nurse, turn, Saturday, burn, fur
- first, girl, birthday, bird, sir
- back, track, black, snack, tackle
OO - moo, boo, soon, room, boom
OO - took, look, book, good, foot
Eight 'CHANGE' Cards