e, Magic e Rule or
Game - e_e, i_e, o_e, u_e & a_e
Find Something... Search my whole site
Games Homepage -
You are here
- Magic e Rule
have had great success with this phonics game in my classrooms.
There are plenty of choices in this phonics game to individualise
it to suit your learners' needs. Feel free to print it out and use
Magic e Phonics Game
card game that make learning phonics fun
Print the cards,
laminate them if possible and cut them out.
1. Two, three or four
players sit so they are facing each other.
2. Select a leader to shuffle the cards and give five flashcards to each
member of the group, as well as themselves.
3. Place all the remaining flashcards in a pile face down in the centre.
Next, flip a card off the top of this pile and place it face up next to
4. The leader reads the card by pronouncing the sound of the letters marked
in red and then the word e.g. If the card is 'kite'
the dealer says, ' i like in kite'
If the card is ' name
' the leader says, ' a like in ' name
5. The children then look at their cards and take their turn moving to
the left around the circle. If they have cards with the same sound as
the one turned over by the dealer they can place one on top of the pile
by saying ' a like in wake'
or ' a like in space
6. If they do not have a match in their hand they pick up a card from
the facedown pile. If the card they pick up is a match they can put it
straight down, if not, they place it in their hand and the next player
has a turn.
7. If the player does not have a match but has a CHANGE
card in their hand they can change the sound being matched i.e. if say
they had the cards ' rope,
vote & stove
' they would place down their CHANGE
card and say "I'd like to change it to ' o
like in rope'".
All the following players must match for 'o_e'.
8. The person who is the first to have no cards left is the winner.
are just a few of the words from the game.
and Print the Game You Need
The power of this game as a learning tool comes from having the children
say o like in vote'
when playing. Please ensure they keep doing it throughout the learning
you find the game effective, feel free to email a link to this page
to someone else that you think will find the game useful.